Your office probably uses a printer on a daily basis. When it’s time for a new one, should you buy or lease?
Should You Buy or Lease Your Office Printer?
While there are benefits to purchasing a printer outright, you might be surprised to learn the benefits of leasing.
To help you decide which is right for your business, we have outlined the pros and cons of buying and leasing a printer for your office:
Pros of Buying
- The overall cost of the device is lower since paying in a lump sum is less expensive and allows you to avoid interest on payments.
- A printer for your business is a tax deductible purchase.
- Since you own the printer, you can sell it when you are ready to purchase a new device, possibly recouping some of your costs.
Cons of Buying
- Buying a printer requires a large payment up front, something many businesses may not be able to afford.
- Like all technology, printers depreciate rapidly and become obsolete within a few years. While you have the ability to resell it, it may be difficult if it’s outdated.
- When you own the printer and you do not have a service agreement, you are responsible for all repairs and maintenance.
For some people, the pros of buying may cancel out the cons, and vice versa. If you have the funds to purchase a device and don’t mind being stuck with a potentially outdated printer, buying may be a good option for you.
What about leasing? Here are the benefits and drawbacks of leasing an office printer:
Pros of Leasing
- For most businesses, monthly payments are more manageable than a large payment up front.
- Leasing allows you to afford technology that you would otherwise not be able to.
- When you lease a printer, maintenance is covered in your service agreement so you never have to worry about paying extra for repairs or finding a technician.
- Since you don’t own the printer, you don’t have to worry about being stuck with a potentially obsolete piece of equipment.
- At the end of the lease you have the option to purchase the printer, return it, or upgrade it for a newer model.
Cons of Leasing
- Choosing the right term for your lease can be difficult. CEI gives you several options with our 24, 36, 48, and 63 month terms.
While there is no one-size-fits-all answer to leasing vs. purchasing an office printer, leasing is definitely more accessible for most businesses and .
Lease or Purchase Your Next Office Printer from CEI in Raleigh
At CEI, we have supplied Raleigh businesses with printers for over 60 years. To learn more about our leasing and purchasing options or to schedule a consultation, call us at (919) 781-8885 or fill out our contact form below.
CEI proudly serves businesses in Raleigh, including Cary, Durham, Chapel Hill, Apex, Holly Springs, Garner, Clayton, Wake Forest, and Smithfield.